Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Friend's Passing

Ken lost a friend today.  Ben got up feeling like he had indigestion or gas, could get no relief.  He sat down in his chair, and there he died.  He was in his 50s.  Ken said he was my age, 54, but he's not real sure.  Losing a friend is hard, especially when you just saw them a couple of days before or maybe an hour before and you parted with, "See you later."  How much time is later?  We never know. 

When I was in my late thirties, I lost my best friend in a car wreck.  Her youngest son had had surgery in a town about an hour away that day.  Ken & I had been there with them and were about five minutes behind them.  She was dead when we drove up on them.  I left my friend on the side of the road; I picked up her baby and took him home.  I cried out to the Lord.  He gave my heart rest.

I've stood by young mothers and cried with them at the death of their infants.  I've listened and stood by the ancient as they've cried burying  sons, 60 and 70 years old, that no mama should bury their baby.

Some of my favorite family members have left this life, a brother-in-law, uncles, aunts, grandparents, and my Daddy.  This count does not even include people that I have loved that still make me smile.  I can still hear Mr. Larry say, "You are acting roguish."   Larry, I'm afraid I'm still a rogue.  I thank God for putting you in my life for a breif time...

One of my nieces had a baby a few days ago. She is a nurse and of course has studied a lot about "nursing" things. Being an expectant mother and a nurse she of course researched SIDS. She is quoted in their local paper in an article written about this and there is a beautiful picture of their little family that was sent to me. I pray, "Lord please bless this family." I've learned we can make all the best plans; we can follow all the best rules; we can scheme all the best schemes. But life and breath are in the hands of God, the Almighty. And for that I'm thankful. He has established my comings and my goings. He has set my perimeter and has numbered my days. I'm glad He is in control, for I'm not!   We are a flower quickly fading and the journey is swift.  May this day bring glory to His name.  The journey has been brighter because You were there. 



1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about friend.

    Sometimes I don't understand the "whys" in life but I do know one thing for a fact... God is the blessed controller of all things!

    Take care and have a nice day :-)

    And thanks for your recent comment on My Blog

    ReplyDelete