Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Door

Our school is STILL under renovation.  But it's getting better all the time and I know that all the inconvenience will manifest itself into one glorious institute of knowledge.  Last week I was extremely tired, a week of workshops, unpacking, and planning for a new school year can make an old girl weak in the knees.  AND I was a bit disappointed by the look of the door to my classroom.  The contractor had either mis-ordered or the door shippers had shipped some wrong doors.  Either way three classrooms in my hall were left with old doors and they were ugly and dirty by comparison.  The door to a classroom is the first hint of the teacher inside.  I'm not old, ugly or dirty...(Just Saying)  I wanted a new door too!  I posted this statement under the picture of someone's new door as my status on facebook and got quite a few remarks.
 




One of them I absolutely loved!  My four year old granddaughter, Bethany Cate, remarked to her mother, "How about she just open that door and go in!"  Spot on!  A door is just a door and if it remains unopened we can only guess what lies inside for us. 
I use to have a sentence strip with a wise old owl saying, "The door to knowledge is never closed", hanging above my classroom door.  One day I had to ask a student to leave my room; he did.  But on his way out he slammed the door.  One of my other male students remarked under his breath, "Whoa, I think I just heard the door to knowledge slam shut!  Or maybe that was the door of stupidity."  Sometimes you just can't help yourself, you call it the way you see it.  The journey is winding, let's walk through the door and get on our way!

1 comment:

  1. Great analogies. But back to the door issue, will you eventually get a new door? Yours is just on order, right.

    ReplyDelete