Sunday, April 1, 2012

It's A Small World

On "Oreo Day", I wrote of a convention that I was to be acting as emcee for this past weekend.  Well the convention happened!  This past Thursday - Saturday I have been with a large group of people at the Monroe Convention Center at the Civic Center "mcing" the event.  I tell you it was a BLAST!  I enjoyed myself immensely!  The theme was "Feeling Groovy" and so all of the music was from the sixties & seventies.  I was in my element and on stage the entire time!  I had so much fun.  These people came from all over the state, all walks of life, all ages, for one purpose to celebrate healthy lifestyles and to get motivated to strengthen their desire to see this journey through in a more healthy way than they may have been doing.  I am a member of this organization and have tried to be good but am not always successful.  But I tell you, this weekend was really like a retreat for me...very refreshing.  That sounds kind of funny, because I have blisters on my feet.  I worked hard the entire weekend.  But it was a VERY FUN JOB!   I love to be in front of crowds of people, just playing.  And to me that's what "mcing" is even though there's a script and lots of action.  I LOVE it!  Maybe that's why I enjoy the classroom so much.  Anyway, one of the people I had to introduce was the mayor of the city.  He was going to welcome the convention.  The mayor couldn't make it so he sent his assistant.  During a break, a woman from the Business & Convention Center for the city came to me and introduced to me the mayor's assistant.  I looked at him, he looked at me.  We recognized each other.  I swore him to secrecy and thankfully even though he kept my secret on stage, he did tell everyone that he & I had actually met the week before in another city on the other side of the state.  Of course that led to a lot of questions later...  Here's what happened.  I was in a hospital surgery waiting room when he walked through with a box of Krispy Creme Donuts.  That is very dangerous.  I love those things.  I called him out on it!  He said, "Oh these are for my family.  My grandmother's in surgery..."  He came back about 30 minutes later with three that had been left over.  Even though I only ate one, I was afraid for him to say how we met in front of hundreds of people!  Life is funny and even though you may eat something in private, it's really there for all the world to see.  And it is a small world but a great journey.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome convention. I thoroughly enjoy speaking in front of a crowd, too. Funny how some people would rather have their fingernails ripped out than give a speech, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught Speech for a few years and the biggest thrill of that was watching "stage fright" melt away from my students!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is a small world. That's why we have to remember that every thing we do and say will likely come back to us. Too funny. I know you had a great time. You are just a natural.

      Delete
  2. Well girl, you know you would have made your world a whole lot bigger if you had eaten all three of those donuts. Good thing you didn't tackle him and take his whole box. I might have given him a little head butt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This jars my memory on a lot of things. I too enjoyed public speaking. However the donuts story I should never share is the one about a coworker who counted my trips to the break room to enjoy donuts a customer had brought. My coworker emailed the entire office staff and reported the number of donuts I ate. Never mind the fact that every trip wasn't for donuts!!! I don't like that woman to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh NO! A donut counter! You are right, this person is no friend. UGH...

      Delete
  4. Deb you can always have fun. I know you enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete