Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day

I skipped blogging about Father's Day on PURPOSE!!!  My Daddy is gone now and even if he were still with us, I probably would have just called and said, "Happy Father's Day, Daddy."  Ken would have made sure I went to see Daddy on Saturday, because that's how Ken rolls.  He would insist that I needed too.  I loved my Daddy but we were really not super sentimental folks.  As a matter of fact, I was grown before I can remember my Daddy hugging me and telling me he loved me.  That's how he rolled.  I guess I knew he did, he just wasn't the type to say or show it.  I remember as a kid hearing him tell Mama when he would leave for work, "Kiss me or kick me, it makes me no difference."  Then he'd laugh.  He loved to aggravate and I loved that sometimes, especially if he was aggravating someone besides me. 

The GREATEST father I know is the father of my children, Ken Evans.  He is not only a wonderful father, he is a wonderful husband and a wonderful man.  Ken has made fathering and "husbanding" his hobby for years.  He calls each and everyone of our four children daily and sometimes even the grandchildren and spouses just to talk to them.   If our children need to know something about nurturing, cooking, cleaning or any "family" stuff they call Daddy.  They know if they call me, I'll say, "Wait, I'll ask Daddy."  I think the reason Ken has become GREAT at this is because he has studied the Word and made that his goal.  He wants to love me as Christ loves the church and literally gives his life to that effort.  Ken also wants to be the type of earthly father that will point his children and theirs to the heavenly Father.  It has been said that you'll know how good a parent you are when you see how good your own children are at parenting.  Our three boys are wonderful fathers, Ken did a great job.  One of our friends said many years ago, "Ken knows two speeds, full speed and STOP."  I hope he keeps rolling for many more years to come.  I sure love this man...The journey is good!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet story. And all of your children have turned out to be great parents!

    ReplyDelete