Thursday, June 23, 2011

Funny Misspeakings...But They Make Sense to Me!!!

I love the Winnie the Pooh characters!  They make up all the basic personalities that we as humans exhibit:

       Piglet:   very Phlegmatic, always wanting to please, wants everyone to be happy...
       Eyeore:  very Melancholy, always sad even when he's glad, always expects gloom, happy to be alone...
       Rabbit:  very Choleric, bossy, bossy, bossy, always neat & so is all his stuff...
      Tigger:  very Sanguine, always happy, bouncy, life of the party even if there's no party...
       Pooh:  a very balanced sort, a good mixture of all the basic personalities.

I'm sure that A. A. Milne was trying to teach his Christopher Robin how to get along with others through the creation of these wonderful characters.  A true study of each personality shows us the beauty of each and how necessary all are to the whole.  But none so wonderful as the very balanced Pooh.  Piglet describes Pooh perfectly when he says, "Pooh hasn't much Brain, but he never comes to any harm.  He does silly things and they turn out right." 
Audrey and the Cobbler

When I think of coining phrases or "misspeakings", I think of Pooh & the gang.  They certainly have a way with words.  I learned "I think I'll have a small smackeral," from Pooh and can think of no better description of some delicious treat. 

My grandchildren are great at turning a phrase or a word.  Just the other day Audrey Jane was complaining to her mother about her young sister, Ava.  Her mother reminded Audrey that Ava is still a baby, only 18 mos.  Audrey put her hands on her hips and said, "Mama, is Ava a baby or a cobbler?"  Tafta told her the word was toddler, but I think Audrey had it right.  Ava is a delicious, peachy king kiddo!

Sadee Ann has learned new words like "idion".  That would be a cross between an idiot and a moron.  Seems someone told her "moron" was an ugly word.  Well Sadee, Mammy loves idion!  It describes quite a few people I know!

Sadee is no "Idion".  She knows half of baking is TASTING just a lil' smakeral!


When Joe was young, he called his fingers "thingers".  I could not get him to change.  Finally, one day he looked at me with total disdain, holding up his thumb and said, "This is not a Fumb, it is a thumb.  So these (holding up the fingers) are thingers."  That really does make sense...and we do use them to pick up things not fings!

Sometimes we look at children or the characters children love as simple when they make up perfectly brilliant words, yet we called Shakespeare brilliant.  He coined so many words.  I wonder if people scoffed at his "new" words.  I think not, so I will misspeak all I want to and coin away...This journey is short and delightful...at least I've always thunk so!
    

Share with me all your newly coined words!  What fun...maybe you'll win, just like me!

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 27, 2011

    Riggs made up the word "schwabled" when he was three. Let me use it in context... I walked into the room and it was all schwabled from the children acting like wild indians.

    ReplyDelete