Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Thoughts on Public Education!


A lot has been said about what's wrong with public education today.  Sometimes I think too much is said and maybe we need to just step back and look at what's right with public education today!  Dr. Steven Covey talks about a "paradigm shift" when trying to solve problems.  Take a step back and look at the problem from a different angle.  This concept has been very useful for me.  I try to teach it to my students.  So in looking at public education and how it can be "fixed",hmm...let's see...Here's some thoughts from different angles:

1.  Public education MUST be viewed as a privilege and not a right. 

2.  Even though we say every child is entitled to a free public education, we all need to understand that public education is NOT free.  It costs!   Its costs are not just monetary.  It's time consuming for dedicated educators, parents as well as students and because we consider it one of our freedoms it has also been paid for with the blood of our freedom defenders.

3.  All stakeholders (educators, parents and students) must view each other with dignity and respect. 

4. There must be an authority in the classroom.  That person is the teacher and they must be viewed as the authority.  If number 3 is adhered to (diginity and respect), authority of the teacher in the classroom is not an issue.

5.  Educators need to educate and legislators need to legislate!  Dedicated educators have studied their profession, it is constantly their goal to hone their craft. 

6.  We all need to understand that even though we were created equal in that God made us with a mind, body and soul, WE ARE NOT EQUAL!  The rich have an advantage over the poor; the strong have an advantage over the weak; the brilliant have an advantage over the dull.  Therefore "cookie cutter" education will not work for all.  People progress at different rates.

7.  The ability to TEACH and to enjoy TEACHING is a gift.  It must be treasured every day!

In my world of education, my classroom,  I view it as a privilege and a gift to be there every day.  I view it as a privilege for my students as well.  My time is valuable, I'm only here for a brief while, so I try to instill that thought in my students' minds.   They, too, are only here for a brief moment.  I treat my students, parents, supervisors with respect and demand it for myself.  A teacher friend of mine called each of his students Mr. and Miss followed by their last names.  That made an impression on me and it was an easy habit to pick up.  The students seem to enjoy hearing their name in that fashion.  Every human that I come in contact with is "SPECIAL" to someone.  They need to be treated that way.  If they are not special to someone, then they need to be even more SPECIAL to me.  I'm not sure about building all this "self-esteem" that we talk about today, but SELF-WORTH is important.  The ability to accept oneself along with your strengths and weaknesses enables one to accept others and improve oneself. 

We've come a long way, baby!

So what's right with public education?  In my world, my classroom, it's great...You tell me...

1 comment:

  1. Excellent!! For the most part, school personnel come to school everyday and do their part. Most of the people who are criticizing public education are doing so for monetary reason.

    ReplyDelete