Sunday, July 24, 2011

Oh Sister, Oh Conscience, Where Art Thou?


Lenora sitting in front row.  Precious girl, wonderful friend!

Sometimes you are able to identify the people that had a huge influence on you and how.  My sister, Lenora, is one of those people.  When we were growing up she was literally my conscience and my compass.  I could dream up a lot of trouble and I was loud about it.  Lenora was the quiet one that let me know I was going too far.  She was the one I called on in school to help me get out of a pickle; she was the one that took the brunt of the most of my shenanigans.  And what did she do?  She pointed me to the Lord.  I saw something in her I did not see in myself, a "peace with herself", a peace with God.  Others may say, "Lenora?  Quiet?"  But I KNOW Lenora.  We shared a room until the day I got married.  She has a quiet nature.  Now I know she can get down & dirty, loud & rowdy, but her "nature" is at peace with herself and she would prefer to be at peace with those around her.  That does not mean she's not STRONG WILLED!  She is, but she's a cross between a MURPHY & an AVANT.  Sorry we all are very strong willed, it's the nature of the beast.  We (M & As) also have OPINIONS and everyone of us could wear the badge a friend of mine bestowed upon me:  "Let's just save time & do it MY way!"  I was at a conference sitting between Ken & Lenora one time and the speaker said, "If we will be successful, we have to get over the 'It's my way or the highway' attitude."  I (being an aggravater) elbowed Ken & Lenora.  Ken grunted; Lenora whispered in my ear, "I don't have that attitude.  It's my way or hit the ditch, GET OFF MY ROAD!"  I laughed aloud and it was a most inappropriate moment in the speaker's speech!  Oh well...these things happen.  Lenora was the maid of honor at my wedding because she deserved and still deserves any "of honor" I can bestow upon her.  I love her and wish for her the best always.  She is a woman of strong heart and mind, to be admired, honored, and loved!  Happy birthday Lenora!

1 comment: