Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sam from Wham


I never did understand why Daddy would say his name was Sam except for it rhymed with Wham...  He was a very interesting character, my daddy.  We have a tendency in our culture to "Saint" someone once they've passed on.  Daddy was NO saint.  But he was a "good" man or I think as good as he could be given his "want to".  Which I have to say might have been "off" just a tad.  Today, July 13, was his birthday.  He was born in 1927, 30 years before me!   He died September 16, 2004.  It's hard to believe he's been gone seven years.  The things I do like to remember about Daddy are:

I loved him, and I think he loved me.  He just never said it much while we were growing up.  He always treated me like I was special.  After I was grown and heard my siblings talk, I found out he treated each one of us "special" to some degree.  We NEVER all got the same thing from him.  He did what he wanted to for who he wanted to.  He gave you what he thought you needed or what reminded him of you.

He was a hard working man.  He provided well for his family and gave his job 100%.  I never remember him missing a day of work for missing sake, and I think he passed on to us (along with our mother) a wonderful work ethic. 

He didn't care about spoiling surprises.  I remember when he brought all of our Christmas home in the back end of his pick-up truck with his horn a blaring.  This was way before Christmas Day.  Mama ran out of the house just a hollering, "Frank Murphy you get that stuff back up to your mothers."  She was hot.  Daddy thought the day is a wasting, better get it while you can...

One time we went to visit Uncle Ed, Aunt Lawana and Wendy Jo in Minnesota.  Daddy was driving our new station wagon.  I sat right behind Daddy and my job was to watch the gas tank & let him know when it was getting low.  That was quite a responsibility.  I didn't even doze!  Daddy had all of our luggage and an ice chest filled with his special cokes (beer) and our cokes on the luggage rack.  We were driving down the highway when all of a sudden the whole thing gave way & suitcases and ice chest went flying.  Our clothes were on the highway and so were our beverages.  The ONE thing I remember hearing Daddy say was, "Y'all watch out for the cars and help me get my soda waters." 

Daddy loved to make up words and give people crazy names.  He did it all the time and on purpose just to frustrate those around him.  I loved that!  He also did not mince his words.  One time he'd showed up at my house and I was saying goodbye to a bunch of people across the street at church.  I yelled for him to come over, he ignored me, so I went across the street and said, "Come on over here, I've got some people that I want you to meet."  He replied, "If I meet one more person, I'm gonna be on overload!"  I left him alone.  That made a whole lot of sense to me & I use that phrase still today! 

After I was grown and married to Ken, Daddy got in trouble.  He called for us and we came.  We loved him and tried always to honor him.  He was something.  I tried to talk to him, and you know Ken did, about the Lord and his relationship with Him.  Daddy would listen, nod, and say "Neba (that's suppose to be one of my mixed up crazy names) you got the right idea."  I hope he knew Him.  I'd like to see Daddy again one day and say one more time, "I love you Daddy."

No comments:

Post a Comment