Monday, January 2, 2012

"Designing Women" Ain't Got Nothing on the Murphy Family!

Since I've been out of school with Christmas Break, I must admit I've DVRd every episode of "Designing Women".  I watch it in the middle of the night if I can't sleep.  I love it.   My extended family (mother, mother's husband, sisters, brother, in-laws, cousins, grandchildren, great-nephews & great-nieces...etc)  all gathered Saturday and I swear I thought I had walked into an episode of my favorite show.  For a moment I thought maybe it was simply DW Overload but then I noticed all the characters were present and then some.  All the names have been changed, as noted in other blogs to protect the innocent and the ignorant, but here are a few of our own DW Murphy Style scenes!
Happy Birthday Kate, throwing leaves!!!

All of the children were outside in the hosts yard playing in the leaves.  I slip out my phone to take a few pictures.  I hear the Doo as she also is trying to take pictures, only she has an "expert" camera. 

Doo:  "T", get out of my way.  I'm trying to get a picture of the children and all I can get is your butt.

"T":  Ok, grandma...

Mr. C:  Well, if you get a picture of that butt, you'll have to use landscape on your computer.

"T":  Look Mr. C, I'm not afraid...(She added something I didn't hear...)

"S - girl":  T, you better tell him, he's just one hip fracture away from the nursing home.
Safer to build a pyramid than to get in the way of  Doo & her picture taking...


Cut in action

Time to play "Dirty Santa" Murphy Style!  Now I fondly refer to this as the Murphy Family Fight.  Santa would never play as dirty as us.  Every year someone gets a little on the hyper side.  I have to admit it can be over just about anything.  Different family members have been known to have "side" conversations where they tell each other what they brought or who drew # 1 and how much it can be bought for.  Different ones have also been known to make off side deals.  I call it off side, 'cause I don't think they are all that legal, but usually no one throws a yellow flag.  This year, the flags were thrown and the gloves came off!  No one was stealing gifts, it seemed everyone was happy to just open and then came Doo.  She approaches the gifts, picks up a few, settling on one sack.  She removes the colorful red paper and then stuffs it back in, puts that gift down and opens another.

Doo:  (as she drops first gift)  Oh, I don't want that!

Large Elf acting as MC:  You can't do that, you opened it.  You have to keep it.  Maybe someone will steal it.

Doo:  No one is going to steal it and I'll be stuck with it and just look...it's candles.  You know I'm allergic.

Large Elf:  Ok, just this time.  No one else gets to do that.

Much disension from the game players.  And wouldn't you know it.  She DID it again with another gift at the end of the game.  Someone stole her gift, there was only one more gift to open.  She opened it and lo and behold, scented candles,  scented spray, scented soap...a lovely gift...the works.

Doo:  Nope not taking that, I'll just steal this. 

Large Elf along with all game players that were still in the room:  YOU CAN'T DO THAT.  THE GAME IS OVER. 

Doo:  No, it's not over til I get a gift I want.  No one should bring something like that when they know someone is allergic.

S-girl:  Well I brought it and I think it's a great gift.  If you dig in there you'll see I included a bottle of Benadryl.

Doo:  Well, I don't want it.

We allowed this, it was easier than hog tying her...

End of scene

Later in the dining hall/wine cellar:

Large Elf:  Hey Bro., next year you should put a bottle of your home made wine into the Santa Game.

Male married into family:  If he does, I'm opening it and taking a swig before the game gets out of hand again!  Hey I think T just stole one of the Doo's Christmas presents out of her car.  She must think the game still on!

The journey is sweet even if it goes through Swartz instead of Atlanta...

2 comments:

  1. You made Doo look awfully bad. Wish they would not bringthat smelling stuff. Loved your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see after reading the about comment that the Doo is continuing. She is going to have to be banned from the Dirty Santa Christmas Fight. I can't believe I didn't video her opening gifts and refusing them. Then she would have made herself look awful.
    Good and accurate post.

    ReplyDelete