Monday, January 23, 2012

Well What Do You Know...I'm Effective!

I know you can't read this but it is a 6 line formula followed by a 6 line calculation
that leads to a Standard Deviation followed by a Z-Score that leads to a Standard Score.
This is used to figure an teacher's rating Ineffective, Effective, Highly Effective...
I know I feel better...
I attended a meeting this evening conducted by a representative from the LA Dept. of Education.  She baffled us with jargon, said a lot about schools and ratings, gave a formula that took into count some 20 variables or more in order to figure a teacher's Value Added Score.  Seems there are three overall ratings a teacher can achieve based on test scores:  Ineffective, Effective, Highly Effective.  Here's the problem, we received our "score" without a rating last week.  My score was a negative.  My percentile below what I as an educator would deem even vaguely successful.  But this evening it was all explained.  Here it is!  If you have a percentile rating as a teacher below 10% you are Ineffective.  WHAT????  I immediately scooped out my scores.  I raised my hand while I stared at my score.  I said would you please repeat that?  She did.  I hollered well WHOOPEE!!!  I WON!!!  I'm Effective.   Even though I believed what the facilitator said and I had witnesses, I had her repeat it again!  "If your composite percentile score falls between 11% - 90% you are rated Effective!, she restated."   WOW!  Now granted at this point my competitive spirit did rise within me because everyone knows I want to be at the top.  In order to be ranked Highly Effective you have to have a composite percentile score of 91%.  Another WOW!  Remember this is all still WRONG!  Because we are talking about one test versus what I know I have delivered over a year and what I know my student's have learned.  All of this still is a whole lot BOTHERSOME, but I feel better...It's great to know that I've been EFFECTIVE on this journey...

6 comments:

  1. Teacher evaluation is always a tough call. What must happen is an excellent set of criterion that teachers have to go by. There should also be peer evaluation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red, Thanks for stopping by. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's just me but teachers teach kids. If kids learn and move on to be productive members of society I'd call that highly productive - especially in this day and age. Trying to put a number on that is like trying to wear a shoe for a hat.
    Anyway, I'm glad your effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to rate teachers on a much easier scale. A good teacher or a bad teacher. The children were learning something from the good teacher and nothing from the bad teacher. How hard is that?

      Delete
    2. Granny Annie, You are so right! I don't know when the world of education got so complicated but it sure hasn't made things better! I do love it though.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ralph. I think you've got the right analogy. It's very comical and very sad...

      Delete