Thursday, January 19, 2012

Help! I'm an Ineffective Educator!

I feel like I'm a casualty of war and quite frankly I wasn't prepared.  I thought I was, but that's because I play fair.  Others do not.  The biggest problem in this war is that our children and our grandchildren are at stake.  I am a teacher.  I am one of those dedicated educators deemed "ineffective" by Mr. Jindal.  Yet, I am also the same educator who was rewarded Teacher of the Year for my parish in 2010 and Regional Technology Teacher of the Year.  I have facilitated dozens of workshops for different systems in our state and even spoke at the National High School Association on communication skills that cross personality barriers.  In years past I have been celebrated by my principal for the excellence of my student's scores.  I've received awards from several organizations as well as letters from Presidents of Universities stating former students named me as a teacher that made a difference.   I have ALWAYS received the highest evaluations from any and all of my superiors.   Yet I am ineffective...How did I sink so fast, so low?  One test on one day...
I've been an outspoken critic for years on high-stake testing.  One test, one day...versus a whole year...I have witnessed how it has affected students and teachers.  This has worked so well let's put the whole system under the burden.  This makes no sense.  If you really want to reform education, get rid of high-stake testing.  Get rid of tenure and let the profession govern itself.  Let professional principals hire and fire.  Allow professional teachers to give homework, teach, and test as they deem necessary.  KEEP politics out of education.  In short, LET LEGISLATORS LEGISLATE AND EDUCATORS EDUCATE!  Mind your own business, it's not doing so well...

3 comments:

  1. Well said my friend. Oh if only......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving an encouraging word. The teaching business is gloomy right now...

      Delete
  2. I posted your post on my FB. It is well sad. I'm not sure we should do away with tenure, because a principal and school board can fire any poor teacher; it just takes effort and guts. But it is not an end all be all. On the other hand, Jindal and his ridiculous reform will be the end of public education. He is one bought governor and now he has to pay back his friends.

    ReplyDelete