Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Lil Southern Manners Can Be Beneficial

Maybe this isn't just a Southern thing, I really don't know.  I do know I was told a LONG time ago, if someone sends you home a dish or basket or anything that should be returned make sure when you return it it's full of something!  I've tried to remember to ALWAYS do this and sometimes it was a challenge and a special surprise for friends.  My children also do this, if they remember!  At Christmas this year my sisters and all their families and mine gathered at my brother's house.  My granddaughters came a couple of days early and stayed with me.  We baked gingerbread brownies, cup cakes and candy.  We took some of these goodies to the party.  When Bethany Cate was leaving the gathering to head with her family back to Arkansas, she asked me if she could take the rest of the cupcakes home with her.  I told her sure, but when she brought back my container make sure it was full of something special from her!  She agreed.  Bethany is only 4 years old so I knew that would be something fantabulous!  Sure enough Ashley, BC's mom, called a couple of days later and said Bethany was really being insistent that they mail my plastic container back to me and that before they mailed it she wanted to fill it with Mac and Cheese.  How DELICIOUS!  I told Ashley how the story went down and she said she'd take care of it.  The other day a package arrived from Arkansas.  There was my red plastic container filled with home made macaroons and handmade Valentines from all the children.  How wonderful.

The package arrived!

Inside the box, under the packing, special Valentines and my red container.
Homemade maccaroons!


Then this weekend it happened again.  At Christmas, Ken sent Tafta, our daughter, home with our Sam's cold bag full of venison.  Venison makes the BEST chili.  Tafta came to visit this weekend and returned the bag with all the ingredients for chicken enchiladas!  What's better than that she cleared me out of the kitchen and prepared them!  Now I tell you, that's a mighty fine return on your investment. 

2 comments:

  1. It's great that young people are learning this tradition especially if it's your grand kids.
    I think the tradition is practised in other areas. I know my wife returns containers filled with "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you visit me, please take a plastic container from my refrigerator. Great manners.

    ReplyDelete