Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Walk a Mile with me and Joe in Bakersfield...

You know how it is in when you have your brain in neutral and you're just listening to the radio...Well that was the state of my being on the way home from school when I realized I was listening and singing along with Dwight and Buck as they sang "The Streets of Bakersfield".  Two of my favorite lines are...
        
            "You don't know me, but you don't like me..."
            "How many of you that sit and judge me ever walked the streets
              of Bakersfield?"

Joe and Sadee,
following his footsteps...
This sparked my brain to a delightful memory.  When I was a child my mama had a lot of records and she loved the radio.  Music was a constant in our house.  She particularly loved country music.  One song that I enjoyed and decided was a good mantra to live by was, "Walk a Mile in My Shoes".  I even sang this to my children and my classes anytime I caught them "putting the lip" on someone. 

           "Walk a mile in my shoes,
             Before you abuse, criticize or accuse,
            Walk a mile in my shoes."

One night, in the middle of the night, my youngest child Joe knocked on my bedroom door and woke me up.  He said, "Mama, mama, I now understand and know that you are right."  I muttered, "What are you talking about?"  Joe, "You know how you always say, before you talk about someone walk a mile in their shoes?"  I nodded very sleepily.  Joe, "I think that's the MOST WONDERFUL idea."  I started to get excited.  Finally someone understands.  Then Joe said, "Just think about it, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes!"  Hopefully you won't spend this journey barefoot.  That Joe...




10 comments:

  1. So that's where all my cute shoes went! That Joe, indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like that sweet baby Joe...unless it's Jonathan, Tafta or Benjamin! You know one time Joe did hide one of Ben's shoes in his desk for weeks. Ben probably didn't find that shoe until he'd outgrown it. That Joe...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yep, Gotta love that girl. I'm glad she has you nearby.

      Delete
  3. Joe has always had a very different type of understanding. He's cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte, Doc use to say that I had four only children. They are each one different from the others and definitely unique enough to be the one and only. But they also love one another! Isn't family great!

      Delete
  4. Great how those little minds work! Got a chuckle out of this one. Now I'm curious and I will have to look up who wrote the song and who sang it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mr. Red! The kids tease me about my stash of songs. I know a lot of them and have one for everything from teaching prime/composite numbers (Three Dog Nights, One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do...") to being tardy for class "I wait and worry but you never seem to hurry...Slow poke" Love a song!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a 'problem child.' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Cliff, He's turned into a great problem solver! God is so good and children are definitely a gift from God! But ohhh, those grand kids!!!

      Delete