Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Third Grade Valentine Fiasco

The other day after I posted about helping some of the grandchildren with their Valentines, Ken and I were reminiscing about when we were in grammar school and what we remembered about the Valentine's Day party.  Ken told me about his third grade fiasco!  He said he was so embarrassed that day that it even spilt over into his adult life and that is why he didn't want to help our children or grandchildren with their cards.  It seems little Ken was given a list by his teacher and had purchased a beautiful box of Valentines to distribute to all his classmates.  He sat down that evening and wrote dutifully on the back To:  "Named Each Classmate" From: Ken.    Then put them in envelopes and sealed them.  When he got to school and started delivering them in the bags he realized he had not written any of the names on the envelopes.  All the names were carefully written and carefully sealed inside the envelope.   He said he quietly just dropped them into each sack and prayed for the best.  Sure enough at the party some kid yelled out, "Hey, Ken, you gave me 'So-in-So's' Valentine.  Ken said he bowed his head and said, "Oh just go trade with them, I probably just got a little mixed up."  That poor baby.  He sure has given me some beautiful cards!  And his heart is the best...The journey is sweeter as the days go by.

These cards date back to our first years of marriage...13 grandchildren ago!

5 comments:

  1. Your husband was typical little gr. three boy. they haven't developed their organization skills at that age. However, he learned ...just a little later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended elementary school in a time you would give Valentine cards to a select few. Each person had a decorated bag or box in the classroom and everyone would bring cards for the kids they liked best. I always had a respectable amount but never "the most". Janie always had the most every single year. Thankfully my parents encouraged me to always have a card for each classmate's bag. Mine and the teacher's were sometimes the only cards some students received while Janie was running around flaunting her booty. Still I always wanted to be Janie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red, You are right. We all learn different skills at different ages and some skills are typical according to the sexes. I tell you I get tired of "cookie cutter" education that forgets the diversity of the students we teach. I cannot.

    Granny, Praise be for parents that encourage and teach children to be kind and giving. That is often lost. There was a "Janie" in every room, still is. I remember seeing a sister of a girl from my school days that I envied. She was popular and so beautiful. I told her sister, "Man, I always evied your sister. I thought she was so beautiful." Her sister turned,laughed, and said, "You're kidding. She always envied you!" It just goes to show, envy is WASTED! Oh that I would love others as Jesus loves me. This life is short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended a country 1st thru 8th grade with about 20 kids in the whole school. One room. We gave Valentines to everyone. But of course the girls my age were the ones I wanted/didn't want to give. Man oh man little boys.
    nice place you got here. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Cliff, My visit at your blog was delightful. Drop by any time.

      Delete