Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fried Chicken, Pass the Gravy!



Ken loves my fried chicken!



Hey everybody, I fried some chicken up tonight!  Yea, that's right, good ole southern, country fried chicken...with the skin on and everything.  Ain't one good thing about it health wise except it's good to those taste buds!  My husband has been craving some Debbie-made fried chicken for a while.  Usually when I get home from work, that man has supper planned.  But tonight when I rolled in, he was still out there working.   I called him and said, "Hey baby, I'm home."  He said, "I'm sorry, I'm still out here working and I've planned nothing for supper."  Well, I didn't want nothing!  So, it's on like a chicken bone!  To the store I carried myself.  Got a whole fryer, bought it, brought it home, cut it up and now it's chicken on to fry!  Frying up some chicken brings back a whole lot of good memories for me. 

My Day's Fowled Up!
When I was growing up, it was my absolute favorite thing my mama could serve us for lunch or supper.  She'd serve up some pork-n-beans and mashed potatoes with some of the best fried chicken (maybe straight from our hen house) you ever ate.  The straight from the hen house brings back memories of Daddy wringing their necks, dipping them in boiling water, and then some plucking went down.  I'm a real good chicken plucker...Chickens saw me coming and shuddered...
Mama always left the chicken butt in place.  We of course were not allowed to say that, but I took great pleasure in telling my younger sister, Elizabeth, that she was eating the part of the chicken that went over the fence last.  She would yell, I would shrug my shoulders as if wondering what the problem could be.  Mama would threaten...I would giggle. 
Well, none of that happened at my house this evening.  I fried the chicken; I prepared the cream potatoes; I wrapped the green beans in bacon and baked them; I made some gravy.  We ate and that chicken I swear was finger licken' good!


Move over, my chicken is "finger licken'" !

                



2 comments:

  1. Very good Debbie did you have lumps in your potatos? She told her Aunt Ada Murphy that she did not like her potatos because she had lumps. Debbie informed her that "My Mama's do not have lumps". This was Debbie's favorite meal to eat at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would be frying chicken when you told me you had a hen die this weekend. You just made up that part about going to a store. Poor Ken is going to eat all of his chickens before he knows it.

    ReplyDelete