Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Feet are Still, but My Spirit Dances!

google.com
Today Google unveiled an animated dancing logo in honor of Martha Graham's 117th birthday.  In case you don't know who that is according to Wikepedia "she was an American modern dancer and choreographer whose influence on dance has been compared with the influence Picasso had on modern visual arts, Stravinsky had on music, or Frank Lloyd Wright had on architecture."  This Google logo is one of the most beautiful things I think I've ever seen. I don't know what the artist was trying to depict, but I know how it made me feel.  Unleashed...free...my spirit soared.  I'm only 53 years old, and sometimes I sit in my chair, feeling old, but my spirit dances without me even leaving my chair.  That reminds me of scripture, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."  That of course is out of context, but it can apply.  I remember when I was in first grade, my mom had made me a beautiful full skirted dress.  At recess I danced all over the playground.  I did not really care who watched, who laughed, who pointed, who tattled to Charlotte or my teacher.  I just danced.   There's a song that says, "When you get the chance to sit it out or dance...I hope you dance..."  I love that. 

May we always sing, dance, and  SOAR

One of my favorite feelings comes in dreams when I am soaring above crowds of people or just through trees...I never fall...I can just take off running, twirling, gliding and the next thing I know I'm soaring.  Not too high because I'm afraid of heights.  But that feeling is the same one I get when I'm twirling around the classroom or the dance floor or my first grade playground WAY BACK WHEN.  Thanks Google.  I gave my class a test today, but as I monitored the test, my spirit danced all day...

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this. You were always a free spirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our spirits were meant to soar. I love that picture of you and Momma.

    ReplyDelete