Thursday, May 5, 2011

I Refuse to be Bored

Boredom has always meant trouble for me.  I don't just go to sleep when I get bored.  I don't just drift off into a daydream.  In fact daydreaming is something I NEVER NEVER engage in.  I simply don't do it!  My husband dreams enough for both of us.  When I get bored, I get into mischief.  That's a shame but I choose not to help myself.  For example, one year I had first hour as my planning period.  UH OH!  That smells like trouble.  I usually already had everything copied on the day before.  I had the room ready.  There was nothing else to do.  I stole the Principal's intercom telephone and called myself to the office.  Following the announcement I quickly put the phone in my desk drawer.  The teacher next door put her head in my door, I appear to be studying my lesson plans or some such.  She says, "Did you just hear that announcement?"  Of course I did not.  "Well...", she continues, "You just got called to the office and it sounded like you."  Ummm, then I'd better go.  I went.  I reported to the secretary.  She gazed at me.  She had not heard the announcement.  As I'm returning to my room, at least three children see me in the hall and say, "Mrs. Evans, you're wanted in the office."  "So I hear, but when I got there they didn't want me.  What am I to do?", I question.  They are very puzzled.  One or two even said,"It sounded like you."  UMM... I make it to my room.  I recall myself.  The same teacher shows up...I'm studying again.  She shakes her head very puzzled.  Finally the principal shows up.  "Do you have my phone?"   I deny all.  He gets half-way to the office and I call him to the office.  He returns to my room.  "Did you just call me to the office?"  "No but if you got called to the office, why are you here?  Is this the office?  Have I been promoted?  Yeah Me!  Will there be a celebration cake at lunch?"  He shakes his head.  He gets halfway to the office.  I recall him.  He returns, puts his hand out and I return his phone.  I never had first period off again.  Sometimes the journey is puzzling but never boring...

2 comments:

  1. Daydreaming is not bad. Maybe you should try it.
    As one who daydreams while I am busy doing other things, it does cause me to fall down too often and I have started walking around talking to myself--like someone we used to make fun of. As you wrote in previous posts, you have been engaging in this type of mischief since you learned to walk. At only 12 months old, Mother caught you stealing Lenora's bottle. Poor baby almost starved to death before Mother figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it all Charlotte. I started laughing while I was reading that and I can't stop. If Carrel comes in here he will think I am crazy. I am glade that one of my children that made fun of me for walking around talking to myself admit they now talk to themselves. You know who can give better advise to you than the one who knows you best, yourself. Debbie you made my day hope you have all your Children at your place on Mothers day guess now that all my children are Mothers unless I go to their house I will not see any of them . I got Garrel. He will take me out to eat. Don't worry about me I will be fine.Miss my Mother.

    ReplyDelete