Saturday, May 14, 2011

Things That Make You Go Hmm...

Hmm...You've heard about things that make you go "Hmm"  before, right?  Things like, "If I melt dry ice, can I take a bath without getting wet?" hmm...Yesterday our Science teacher shared one with me that actually made me go HMMMM!!!  At the end of the school year it's a good time to give the children a project to complete.  In 7th grade math we build tetrahedrons and measure and measure and measure some more and then we tie them together and make different tetrahedral kites.  In 7th grade science she gives the kiddos a Scavenger Hunt.  They complete this hunt by using several different sources:  their science text books, different science magazines, and of course the Internet, etc.  In order to give the children plenty of access to the Internet, she spends several hours during the project with them in the computer lab.  She monitors them closely and listens as they discuss with their partners where they think they should go for these different answers.  One of the questions on the "hunt" was:  Name the first three astronauts who walked on the moon.  She overheard one of the little darlings saying to her partner, "Well, we know one of their names was Houston.  Because remember he said to him, 'Houston, we have a problem.'"  When she told me this story all I could muster up was HMMM...State test scores come in next week...HMMM...

2 comments:

  1. I thought about marking funny, but then I thought again and marked interesting. Poor child.

    ReplyDelete