Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Growing Older is not for a Sissy, Missy or Let Me See Those BINGO Wings!!!

A week or so ago a 94 year old woman called me a youngster!  The adrenalin rush that one comment caused almost put me into overload.  This particular lady, Ms. Ruby, is in GREAT shape.  She still drives, lives at home alone, takes art classes, sells her paintings, makes and sells homemade jellies, sews and takes an active part in different clubs and organizations.  Maybe that's the key to youth.  Stay busy and involved with others!  But I'm thinking that the people I hang out with may actually cause old age and the decay of the body.  Seventh graders have a way of telling you EXACTLY the way it is and how it goes.  However they have learned the power of the pen.  They know that the key to their success is to keep me happy.  VERY seldom if ever will one actually offend me.  If they do I simply say, "What's that I hear?  Oh, it's the sound of your grade FALLING."  Not so true for younger grades...
Me & Cas:  A couple of "Head Cases"!
 Anyway, the very next day my 28 year old daughter-in- law called.  She is also a teacher.  She walked up on a small group of young boys talking and waving their arms madly.  They pointed at her as she walked up to them and one hollered, "Look, she has them too!"  She politely asked, "What, do I have?"  And then she got it, right between the eyes..."You've got Bingo Wings!"  Wouldn't you know it, she could not leave well enough alone.  She had to seek and then she found out.  Innocently she asked, "What are Bingo Wings?"  They all raised their arms to the "let me show you my muscle stance" and started waving their arm while flapping the little skin under their youthful arms.  A brave one explained, "You know, when old women play Bingo and they win.  They shoot up their arm and start hollering ,'Bingo', and the skin under their arm goes to waving.  That's Bingo Wings!"  That's when she turned red and turned on her heels!  That's when I would have said, "Darn, I was hoping Bingo Wings were a type of buffalo wings you serve at a Bingo Party and you were inviting me to your house for supper & Bingo."  She has not taught long enough.  I'm even serving up side orders with my Bingo Wings!!!

1 comment: