Saturday, April 16, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY SISTER!!!

Oh...here it comes!!!  There are six of us Murphy children, born of Frank & Juanita.  We are all very different and yet in a lot of ways, that we don't want to admit, quite a bit alike.  The ancient is true, "You can't get away from your raisin'."  I'm not sure why we so struggle with that thought in our youth, we as humans always return to our roots in the end.  So why not just stay there at your roots.  Get use to them; water them; let them grow...Why fight your whole life to get away from your genetics...to put it bluntly, "You is what you is!"  This really has nothing to do with today's blog it was just a "self-imposed" reflection of myself, where I've come from, where I am now, where I'm going, and where I'll finish up...

This reflection started as I was thinking about how I felt when Mama told us older five that number six was on the way.  I was APPALLED!  The first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Oh no, everybody's gonna think we're poor!"  Then I ran away somewhere and cried.  I did not realize how RICH little Sandy would make my life.  Number 6, Sandra Elaine, "Elaine", Caboose, Rusty, lil Doodeedee...Sandy is ten years and so many months younger than me.  She is delightfully sassy and brassy.  When she was born I could tell Charlotte and Lenora had a brand new baby doll.  I usually tore the heads off of mine, so I left Sandy alone.  The one time I remember Mama asking me to watch her, while she worked in the garden, things did not go well.  Mama had just bathed Sandy and left her in the middle of her big double bed.  Mama loves to bathe babies in the morning and then let them have a big ole stretch and nap.  She told me to watch her, so I reasoned I best do that in Mama's room on Mama's bed.  I did not want to take a nap and at that time there was no such thing as a "baby swing".  I thought Sandy might enjoy a good bouncing, so I started jumping on the bed.  The baby went bounce, bounce, bounce, then "kerplop" right on the floor.  WOW!  Even then that Sandy had GOOD lungs, she went to screaming and Mama came a running and I went to shaking my head saying, "I don't know what's wrong with this baby."   Funny thing about Mama, she can smell when things are a little fishy...I never was given the task of watching the baby again.  Some other things I remember about Sandy's young years:

1.  Grandma Murphy spanked me.  We were celebrating the Fourth of July down at the picnic spot Daddy had built by the creek.  All of us kids had been running down the hill to the creek, daring each other to fall in.  We'd also been walking back and forth over the big pipe that ran out of the hill across the creek.  Sandy was standing at the top of the hill bossing..."Y'all are gonna fall."  "You better not get wet."  "Somebody help me run down the hill."  With that last request I decided to help her alright.  I pushed her right down that hill.   Grandma Murphy LEAPED off that picnic bench and hit my bottom harder than anyone ever had.  Everyone there was in shock.  She never did that.  Sandy was the baby. 

2.  When Sandy was two we all went to Minnesota to visit Uncle Eddy, Aunt Lawanna and Wendy Jo.  One afternoon I was riding Wendy's bicycle and Sandy wanted me to ride her on the handle bars.  I've never claimed to be very steady at the wheel.  I regret ever doing that, but she doesn't remember...til now...Of course I wrecked and she got a bloody knot on her head...She can holler!  Daddy gave me a...

3.  Sooner or later it happens to all of us.  We go to school and find our new identity.  When Sandy was in first grade she got to take French.  The teacher assigned them all French names.  Sandy's was Elice. Sandy Elaine was so very proud of her French papers.  And really so was I.  By the time Sandy had started school, I was use to her and LOVED her a whole heapa bunch.  But I gotta tell you, when she pranced in saying, "I'm taking French and my name is Elice."  I knew I was going to have a field day.  I took her paper and started singing and dancing, "Sandy thinks her name is Alice...Sandy thinks her name is Alice."  Sandy went to hollering, "It does not say Alice, it says Elice."  Mama gave me a knot on my head...


4.  Sandy was my flower girl in my wedding.  She stood there right beside me with great big tears in her eyes and then streaming down her face.  She didn't want Ken to take me away.  I loved that kiddo!  How could it be that she loved me so very much?

I've always tried to be there for Sandy.  She makes it hard because she's very independent, like her sisters. (I know cause I is one.)  Her children have, until this year, always stayed a week or so with me during the summer.  They are older now and busy.  Madison and Trace Cranor are also helping with Sandy's grandchildren.  They are in so many ways like their Mama and we share a very common bond.  WE LOVE SANDY!   She is the original Sunshine!  Happy Birthday, Lil Doodeedee!  (Couldn't resist that one, one more time...Caren started that anyway!)


 

2 comments:

  1. Love you story Debbie. Thanks for remembering that I started calling Sandy Lil Doodeedee. She had great big eyes like Momma. Lenora did too, but hers were brown. Momma and Sandy are more alike than they want to admit. Even Daddy still says that. Everyone loves Sandy.
    It wouldn't let me sign in for some strange reason
    Love you all,
    Caren Delet'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a memory of Aunt Sandy...My brother, we'll call him "neb" to protect his identy, always wanted to play chase when she was in the bathroom at our house. He would run in the bathroom and embareass all of us. I thought he was so dumb for makeing that mistake over and over again..until the night "neb" said "Aunt Sandy's taking a bath, lets play chase!"

    ReplyDelete