Friday, April 8, 2011

I Love My MaMa Evans!

I love to blog about people and the crazy things we do and say.  That makes life more pleasurable to me!  But sometimes I need to blog  a "Thank You".  Today is one of those days.  Today, April 13, thirteen years ago a wonderful lady left us...MaMa Evans (Audrey).  I LOVE MAMA EVANS.  Still today the impact she made on my life pops up.  It is MaMa that I quote the most often.  I don't know how she got so smart in such a short life.  Yes, she lived over 80 years but that was too short for me and everyone else that knew her.  A few of my favorites are:

Everyone knows how to treat the devil but the one that's got him.
It's easier to build a boy than to mend a man.    
Debbie, Sometime you just got to talk to yourself in the mirror and say...


When Ken & I got married MaMa, PaPa,  Aunt Jane, and Uncle Herb gave us our silver as a wedding present....every piece.  I'll NEVER forget when we moved to Natchitoches and MaMa and PaPa came for their first visit.  We had a "built in" china cabinet in the dining room.  It had a drawer and there I had placed all the silver still in all their sealed sleeves.  I proudly showed it to MaMa.  She asked, "Why aren't you using it?"  I said, "I'm saving it for special dinners and special guests."  My husband had just accepted his first pastorate and I was sure there would be "special dinners."  MaMa immediately passed me another golden nugget.  She said, "Your children are the most special guests you'll ever have and they eat dinner with you every night."  WOW!  She was so wise and so right!  When she and PaPa left I opened all the silver and got down the china.  The children, who were only 6, 4, 2, and 6 months, Ken and I ate with the silver every meal from then on.  The silver still graces my table EVERY TIME it is set. 
Another wonderful thing MaMa passed on to me...she always had cookies!  That is something I do with my grandchildren every time any of them come to my house.  We bake cookies.  There's nothing like go to MaMa's or Mammy's and eating good cookies.  I cross-stitched the following poem for MaMa:

 Some grandma's ride in limousines,
    wear fine clothes and diamond rings.   
But my Grandma's best by far...
Because she has a cookie jar!!!



Aunt Jane wrote a story about MaMa's life and her grand daughter Christy copied and posted it in a "note" for us.  If you are friends with either of them on FB you should read that wonderful tribute.  Before I close there is something else MaMa gave to me and that is Aunt Jane.  I love my Aunt Jane.  Yes, she's my husband's aunt, not really my blood, but she's of my heart.  When a horrible family tragedy touched my life years ago and it seems others didn't know what to say or do...Aunt Jane SHOWED UP! 
She was at our door with food, helping hands, listening ears, and a very willing heart.  I've realized since that she was just doing what had been modeled for her all her life.  That is what MaMa did too!  Oh the legacy that has been laid out for my children in this journey, may it continue...

The journey is always a little sweeter with some cookie dough!
May all your cookies come out of the oven just right!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of your grandchildren--priceless. It is priceless too, to have such wonderful in-laws. You and MaMa will live for as long as those grandchildren and their children and their children live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Jane or as I like to refer to her as "The General" had a wonderful impact on the lives of me and my two kids. She is such a loving and caring woman of God. I know that is something that Mrs. Evans instilled in Mrs. Jane early on in life. So glad that my journey in life included The General. Deb, you are a great Mammy and friend, love ya, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very sweet blog, almost as sweet as the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog! Wonder why Audrey Jane has her mouth stuffed with cookie dough in EVERY picture?? HA! That's how she rolls...

    ReplyDelete