Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Life is Full of Moments...I'll Have Another Moment Please!

"I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."
George Bernard Shaw

One of my students said to me, "Mrs. Evans I wish it was Friday already."  I stopped in my tracks and gave him a hard, silent, feverish look.  I then said, "Oh baby, don't wish one second of your life away."  He didn't understand.  We are in the habit of saying, "I can't wait for ..."  "If only this day would end..." and such as that.   I do not want to be on my death bed wishing for all the days, hours, minutes or seconds that I've wished away.  I will not say those things again.  When a "Wish Away" moment occurs I hope to turn that moment into a LIFE moment and milk it for all it's worth.  I hope that my candle burns bright and lights torches all around the earth.  I teach math and I tell my students that I can teach a monkey to do math.  More importantly I can teach them how to live.  Life is a journey with many twists and turns.  You never know who you're going to bump into or what will touch you and you'll never be the same again.  Oh to have a life full of MOMENTS!  In fact I think that's what I'll have... another moment please...What a journey!

2 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful That's why my house was dusty the floor needed mopping ,when my Babies needed rocking at nearly 75 I can close my eyes and still smell them from thier morning bath .I never wished them to grow up in fact I fought it with all my might .Now they are gone they were there only a moment but they lite up my life for a time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Keep those moments coming.

    ReplyDelete