Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bought Me a Ticket to Ride

It's poetic that my first "commenter" ("Can't let you leave the station without me...") is one of my sisters!  Charlotte was on the journey ahead of me and was my first introduction to this ride called education.  She went to school on that big fine school bus, 14 A, and brought back with her wonderful things to share.  I remember after her introduction to school, Lenora (one year my junior) and I sat for hours under her tutorage.  She taught us many things and instilled in us a love for this trip even before we had come of age.  I tried the same thing when I went to school; I taught Lenora vocabulary words I knew she'd need.  But Lenora did something I had never done.  When Charlotte taught me, I kept that knowledge and tried to show off at just the right time with just the right amount of decorum.  Lenora, not so much...One day her first grade teacher, Mrs. "Rock", was introducing new vocabulary.  Her teacher asked the class, "Does anyone know this word?", knowing of course none of her darlings would.  Up went Lenora's hand.  Lenora knew the answer; Mrs. "Rock" asked Lenora how she knew the word.  This was her opportunity to shine (I sounded it out.  Oh I've been reading for years, etc...) instead she threw me under the school bus with, "Debbie told me."   I didn't know that the secrets of teaching words was really a secret, and neither did sweet Lenora, until Mrs. "Rock" called me out of my second grade classroom and told me to never tell Lenora anymore vocabulary words, that was  HER job.  She probably even had a paddle in her hand; I recieved so many paddlings I lost count of them.  I was so upset (not because of the rebuke or paddling but because our real school was threatened), but Charlotte said we could continue "playing" school we just couldn't tell everything we knew.  We're still practicing that and we NEVER tell everything we know.  So even if you get thrown under the school bus a time or two and the road is a little bumpy, the journey is wonderful.  Don't let the train leave without you, get on board!  Let the journey begin...

3 comments:

  1. Love the picture. But you left out the part where you threw me under the bus in Mrs. "Rock's" room. You probably think I don't remember, cause usually I don't. One day I was called out of my 3rd grade class by your teacher. I was quite profoundly scolded because you could already write your name and you told the teacher ( the Heart of Stone)I taught you to write. But your point is well taken. Why in the 1960's did a college educated teacher feel threaten by an 8 year old doing her job? We were country kids of course we played school that was all there was to do besides run through the woods or walk the cow--but those or other stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when students go home to teach what was learned at school! Great form of review and it makes my future job easier...although I do take all the credit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I feel so smart...I did not remember that I could write before I went to school...But I'm not surprised!!!!Thanks Charlotte...
    Tafta Girl, you got the answers girl friend...

    ReplyDelete