Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Daddy are We There Yet?"

Our third child, Ben, can be quite an improviser.  I used to say of him, when he was yet a mere lad, "That boy sees trouble coming and puts out a welcome mat."  He was never BAD, he just saw opportunities...The first "opportunity" involving school that I recall was afforded him in kindergarten.  He was barely out of the gate so to speak...barely on his way in the journey...barely getting the car started...you get the drift.  His K teacher, Mrs. "Loydrock"  loved him.  I'm glad.  You remember "K" class...you get a fresh start every morning.  If you get in trouble, you might move your stick (warning), more trouble...flip your stick,  more trouble, I don't know by this time I'm ready to put your stick in the trashcan, but that's another story.  "K" teachers are very forgiving, you get  4 - 5 warnings before a note goes home, of course this depends on the offense.  Anyway, one day I was home and I got a call from Ben's "K" teacher.  She says, "Mrs. Evans, did you or your husband read the note I sent home yesterday concerning Ben's conduct."  Me, "Uhummmmm, (shaking in my boots) No.  I didn't see a note and I did go through Ben's backpack."   Mrs. Loydrock, "Well, are you sure your husband didn't?"  Me...(More nervous) "Yes mam, I'm sure, he's out of town."  Mrs. Loydrock, "That's what I thought.  Ben got in trouble yesterday, several minor offenses, anyway I sent a note home for you or your husband to sign.  I got it back this morning and it was signed just 'KEN' and it looks like Ben's handwriting.  I think I'm just going to let you handle this.  I'll send it back today."  I hang up thinking well at least he can spell "KEN".  Ben gets home from school...I say, "Ben did your teacher send me a note yesterday or today."  He gives me a precious sideways glance.  There's no where to run and nothing to say..."Yes mam."  Hand it over boy was my attitude.  He did.  I tell you his "KEN" was fantastic.  I gave the child a law review right there and then.  I covered fraud, forgery, lying...believe me I can go on and on.  When I was finished, my precious boy stomped his little foot and said, "UMP, I knew I shoulda wrote in cursive."  LOVE IT!!!  All I could think of was "Man this is just Kindergarten! if this is a journey we've got a long way to go before we get 'There', wherever the end may be."  When Daddy got home, all I could think of is "Are we there yet?" 
Justice:  He's grown and he's got some just like him!!!
Reward:  Priceless ;)

3 comments:

  1. One phrase really stuck out "believe me I can go on and on." AMEN!!!! lol

    That story is a classic...and I can testify: if a Pre-K/K teacher can even FIND THE TIME to write a note home, she for sure felt like throwing the stick in the trash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story. There's one or 2 in every family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family just seems full of them!!!

    ReplyDelete