Sunday, March 13, 2011

Yesterday...Yesteryears...

Saturday morning I attended my beloved Sophee "Debbie" Lynn's birthday party at a park in Natchitoches.  Everytime I visit Natchitoches, I am swamped with memories and nostalgia.  Ken and I lived there for 18 years.  It is where we raised our children, where I finished college and where I began my teaching career.  The place is haunted with real good memories and filled with friends.  I'm glad Joe, Cas, Sadee "Janice" Ann, and lil Sophee still live there.  It gives me a real good reason to return and visit. 
Yesterday, in the park, I was "in charge" of trying to fly kites, a self-posted position.  Joe mentioned it would be fun so I bought Sophee a new kite and brought some tetrahedral kites my seventh graders made last year for some colorful fun.  The new kite got up a few times thanks to Ken, not enough wind to keep it up...the tetrahedral kites...ummm not so good.  They were a little too heavy with next to no wind.  But I'm sure there is not a design flaw; I'm sure they'll fly with the right wind.  But that's another story.  Anyway there we are in the park, when I see Ken speak and then call Tafta (our daughter) over to speak to a young man who is in the next part of the park watching his son at T-ball practice.  After a few more runs up and down the field, trying to fly a flightless bird, I made my way over to meet the young man.  I was delighted when he said "Hi, Mrs. Evans, it's me 'Lance'."  Wow!  He's now a grown man, a responsible father, and a real asset to the community.  I knew he came from "fine folk" but boy did seeing him again bring back memories.
"Lance"  was in the second group of eighth graders I was privileged to teach at St. Mary's Catholic School.  That group of kids had something like 12 girls and 18 boys...and they were "BOYS!"  I was hired to simply teach two sections of reading and two sections of math that year.  However, first day of school, all the children are waiting in the gym and my principal taps me on the back and says, "Mrs. Evans, I need to speak to you in my office."  As a child this was not unusual for me, but as a teacher, I think this was the first time I was summoned and the door was closed behind me.  Mr. Lee cleared his throat, rubbed his forehead, and looked at me pityingly.  I stood strong.  He said, "The nun that was suppose to be your teaching buddy, quit on me this morning."  (That's not so good for a Baptist Preacher's wife...)  He continued, "I'm going to ask you to take the eighth grade class, self contained, all subjects.  If you need to take time and think about this, or if you feel you need to quit or talk to Mr. Evans, I don't blame you.  Knowing the demographics of the class it's going to be tough."   I was young, I was brave, maybe I was an idiot, but I said, "Sure I can do it, as long as it's ok with Ken that I go full time."  That decision was one of the best decisions I made.  The class Lance belonged to was a challenge, a DELIGHTFUL challenge.  They were young boys full of mischief, full of fun and I loved them. 
I told Lance yesterday, every Christmas I think of them, because one day before Christmas they hid an antique birdhouse ornament from Germany in my room behind some books.  It "tweeted"  all morning before I finally found it, the boys heehawed...I adore that thing...
I also spoke of Lance last week in my class.  I had the class taking a test and when complete they had to staple their worksheet to the test before turning it in.  I'll never forget the day Lance did that.  I warned the class not to do what he did.  When he stapled his test, he stapled his finger too.  That poor boy...the staple went in, his eyes (filled with tears ) met mine, he ran out my classroom door, into the hall, out the back door of the school onto the tennis courts.  You could hear him cursing long and strong.  (No wonder the nun left me...)  All the kids in my class looked at me in fear for him, wondering what I would do.  When he returned, quite shamed but ok again, I just hugged him.  There was nothing else to do, but grade his test...first 100 he ever made...That's how I roll on this journey.  That test had proved to be painful enough and he learned a great lesson.  When I visited with him yesterday, he still remembered that event...
                Happy Birthday Sophee and thanks for the walk in Memory Park...

1 comment:

  1. I love returning to Natchitioches for visits also! The party in the park was lovly!

    ReplyDelete