Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let's Get It Right!

Our eldest granddaughter is in the first grade.  She is very serious about her education.  Katharyn McKinley Evans always does her best and she expects everyone else to do their best also.  I remember last year when she started Kindergarten, Stacy (mom) and Jonathan (dad) were a little bit afraid that Katharyn might be a little bit intimidating to the teacher!  Imagine that!  Well, her K-Teacher gave each student in the class an old workbook to take home for additional practice.  Kate did not understand the take home and leave home policy.  She finished the workbook and took it back to school for appropriate grading and praise.  She received acknowledgement and then, "Kate, that is for home and it is to stay there."  Ummmm...I told her I thought she did a WONDERFUL job!  She'll find self gratification soon enough...Right now I'm happy to provide Mammy Praise!  And since I'm a teacher as well, I recognize great quality work when I see it.  Jonathan, Kate's Dad, is our eldest.  I remember his days of school...I cannot tell you how many times I looked over his homework and said, "Son, I can't read that.  You need to get a clean piece of paper and start over."  If you've ever helped or begged or drug or coerced one of yours into doing their homework you know the drill.  He called me shortly after Kate's beginning school days.  It seems she had brought home a set of papers for him or mom to look over and sign.  It befell Jonathan to complete the task this particular morning.  He reported that he quickly skimmed through the "perfect" papers and then scribbled his first and last name on the top paper in the space set aside for parental signature.  He handed the papers back to Katharyn so she could put them in her back pack.  She did not.  She looked at the signature; she glared at him.  She said, "Erase that and write your name again.  You can do better than that!"  I love it!!!  Sometimes the journey just seems to travel in a full circle!!!


1 comment:

  1. As mothers and now grandmothers the full circle is sooo gratifying. That is a beautiful picture of Kate.

    ReplyDelete