Friday, March 25, 2011

Mr. Garza and "General Patton": Part 2 of Crazy Mona and Hubba Bubba

You remember the mouse...you remember the fur on the "sticky" strip...well here's the rest of the story.  Mr. Garza, a fellow teacher at our school, heard me talking to Mona & Bubba about the fur on the strip.  Mr. Garza is a very kind man.  He is a humanitarian with a heart for animals.  I don't know the name for that. He says to me, "Mrs. Evans I know you've heard of the Double Jeopardy Rule.  It seems to me that if you caught the mouse and it got away (or most of it got away, anyway) that the Rule applies.  You have to let it go."  This is not in my game plan, but Mr. Garza continues, "I have a small varmint trap, in which I can put some food and catch that brave little guy.  Then I will release him on the 40 acres where I live or nearby."  I can see no harm in that, unless Mr. Garza is my next door neighbor.  I REALLY don't want that mouse any where near me.  But I reply to Mr. Garza that he has a deal.  The "sticky" thing didn't work and I reason he is correct about the Double Jeopardy Rule.  Bubba is shaking his head and laughing at us, Mona is just a grinning.
Thursday morning, Mr. Garza gets there early (as he does every day, morning duty) and sure enough he has remembered the trap.  He is toting a  small metal thing that looks like the kind of trap my husband has used for larger varmints like squirrels or such.  He demonstrates to me how the mouse will smell the food he has provided, run in and then can't get out.  I think it's great so he is off to show Mona who happens to be in my room.  He sets the trap...we leave the "sticky" things just in case.  Thursday afternoon I have to tell you, I was a little disappointed that we didn't have a mouse yet and a bit anxious because Mr. Garza said if we didn't have a mouse by Friday afternoon, he'd take it back because he wouldn't won't the mouse to be caught and left there all weekend.  I'm very anxious.  Bubba said, "Well you might as well take it now, you aren't going to catch that mouse."  That Bubba...
Friday morning,  Mona and I am in my room...I'm in the front saying, "Mona do you hear anything back there?"  She says, "No, but I'll check in a minute."  She was busy.  In comes Mr. Garza.  Out goes me, because I'm really afraid of that thing and I don't want to see it!  Mr. Garza comes quickly out of my room to let me know he had CAUGHT IT!!!!  He took the trap with mouse to his car for a later release.  Mr.  Garza's planning period is second hour.  At that time he took the mouse to a local cemetery.  When he lifted the door of the trap, the mouse took off so very fast, it ran right into a tombstone.  Mr. Garza shook his head and marveled at the name...PATTON..."See there,"  he told me later, "that was a brave mouse.  It was named after one of the most famous generals of all time...Gen. George Patton."   Mona and I were impressed with his catching the mouse.  Bubba is still shaking his head!!!
"Patton" and I thank Mr. Garza!

2 comments: