Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Kindergarten: Stars, High Fives and Smiley Faces

If you've read some of my other blogs, you know that our son Ben was a "something" when it came to going to school...He taught us a thing or two.  It came as little surprise to me when his eldest went to school and I got a call from Ben.  Ben's little wife, Ashley, is a quiet person who likes to please others.  She listens well,  knows how to follow directions and I don't think was really ready for a "Wild One".  But she is a QUICK, eager  learner!  Ben called me a little after a week or two of Kindergarten, the conversation went something along these lines.  It seems Ashley had gotten a bad paper home on Riggs.  The teacher had marked  - 5 at the top of the paper, she highlighted and put an asterick * by the directions that denoted a note she had written at the bottom of the paper.  She had written "Riggs is not following directions, he can do better than this."  She had placed a smiley face for mom at the end of her note.  (K teachers are like that; they try to soften the blow.)  Ashley, the mom, had tried to talk to Riggs about following directions and listening but she was feeling all "talked out".  She decided it was Dad's turn.  When Ben got home, she handed the paper to him.  He was going to be "Mr. Tough Guy."  (That's only for Chuck Norris, but that's another story.)  He tells Riggs to meet him in his bedroom.  Riggs bounces in.  Did I mention he's kin to Tigger? 
Ben scowls at the youngster.  "Boy, do you see this paper?" 
Riggs, "YES SIR!"
Ben, "Well, what do you have to say for yourself?"
Riggs, "I did really great!  Look Dad, I got a high 5 (-5) a star (*  denoting note) and a smiley face (for mom)!!!!
Ben said all he could do was say, "Ok, I'll get back to you..."
He calls me, "Mom, what do you do with that?"
Me, "I think you better realize THERE'S LIFE AFTER KINDERGARTEN AND THE BOY IS A GENIUS!!!" 
I've never known a kid that could turn three strikes into such a positive message...except maybe his Dad, Ben, and Pappy, Ken...But that's how those folks keep on rolling!!!
                Pappy and Riggs...so very much alike...WONDERFUL FOLKS!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me of it! It is so true that many of our qualities that drive people up the wall are still our best qualities. Its like holding a hundred dollar bill, "Not worth anything until you spend it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder that there is life after Kindergarten. Some new parents get all stressed out and those are not usually the parents who need to worry so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that kid. You are so right about him turning three strikes into a positive thing. I hope he stays that way. Now, to work on mom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A postitive outlook will get you far in this life after Kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete