Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Lesson from the Young and the Old

I told a story earlier in my days of blogging about Ma Brown ("A Much Kneeded Lesson"), the 100 or so year old American Indian from Natchitoches.  Remember, Ma Brown lived in a shack and literally had next to nothing.  She had enough...
Actually that's not true, I believe she knew the Lord, therefore she had everything.  Remember also I was a young preacher's wife and a bit pious...and maybe even a little haughty in piety.  Oh the lessons life teaches us!  I remember one Christmas, I bought Ma Brown some pretty winter gloves, a warm winter hat, and a scarf.  I wrapped it very prettily and was extremely proud of my family's gift to this dear Saint.  When the family all went together to deliver the gift, Jonathan, our oldest who was six at the time, pulled out a little plastic wallet he'd been given by someone for Christmas.  It had a horse and rider on it, clearly a wallet for a little boy.  He said, "Mama, I want to give this wallet to Ma Brown."  I said, "Oh Jonathan that's very sweet of you, but she doesn't want your wallet, baby.  We have this nice gift for her, it'll be fine."  Probably we finished with the "You kids behave while we're visiting" speech as we walked up to her door.  I really thought no more about Jonathan's gift.  Until...I presented our family's gift to Ma Brown probably with a pompous air, just sure she didn't have anything that nice and would love it.  She opened it and set it aside, saying thank you...and that was done.  You see now I know she was very warm with her kerchief that she enjoyed wearing around her head and her hands were worn and leathery just as warm, but most importantly Ma Brown was warmed by the very breath of God.  After visiting for maybe five minutes my sweet Jonathan could stand it no more.  He said, "Ma Brown, I have a gift for you too."  He pulled out his little plastic cowboy wallet.  Ma Brown's eyes came alive!  She "leaped" out of her rocker and started praying, "Oh Jesus, thank you for a little brother that listens to You!"  She took the wallet from Jonathan, went over to her bed, pulled up the mattress and took out a handkerchief.  My eyes filled with tears when I saw her unwrap her handkerchief and there was a tattered, worn out plastic wallet.  She carefully transferred her treasures to her new wallet, praising the Lord and the child the entire time.  That night a young woman witnessed the value of a child's gift to an old woman, but most importantly she learned to value the heart and words of a child.  I've tried to let this lesson weigh heavily in my dealings with children and especially their gifts to me.  Most especially, I thank God for all the children He has blessed me with in my life.  Children are surely a gift from God...and I'm glad my gifts started with a special boy...my sweet Jonathan...let the journey continue on!

Jonathan and Stacy have been blessed with four precious gifts...but that's another story...

1 comment: