Monday, March 7, 2011

Shock Absorbers are Needed

Yesterday was Sunday and I was sick!!! Did not get to go to church.  I missed meeting with the sisters and the brothers.  As I was lying in bed snuffling and sniffling, I reflected on all the years of Sunday School I've been privileged to attend.  I was raised in a church where I believe people loved their community and the people that were around them.  I remember very fondly some of my Sunday School teachers that were older women and wonder still today how did they do it?  They put up with some smarty youngins that really didn't care about anything but playing.  I think they truly cared about us.  I KNOW that some of the younger women at the time HAD too.  There is NO way some of those young and older couples could have put as much time in us younger ones if they didn't care.  Some of these young couples opened up their homes and let us gather there; came to the church at "off" times and let us play.  They must have loved us. (But those are stories for another day, but thank you Ms. Ann, just the same!)  I like to think that now we pass that on.
      Today's story is about a Sunday School class I landed in after I became a "Young Married", and boy was I young...(That also is another story.)  I won't even change this name because I don't feel I need to.  The teacher was Mr. Shorty Legget.  My husband was the Music Director at the church, so often he was not in Sunday School, in fact I don't think he ever attended that class.  Many of the "Young Marrieds" were needed to fill other positions in the church...teachers, helpers, nursery...etc.  I was one of the faithfuls to the Sunday School Class.  I remember on SEVERAL occasions it would be just me and Mr. Shorty.  I will never forget the love and concern he had for his class.  I remember how he came in the first time it was just me and him.  He said, "Deb, You and Ken can read the scripture and lesson at home and discuss it pretty plainly.  I think you and I will pray for our class during this hour."  He dropped to his knees and so did I.  He lifted everyone of the members of our class, whether they were there in another position or absent, by name out loud to the Lord.  He prayed with a fervency and love that left no doubt in my mind that he loved and cared for the souls that were under his tutelage.  Still today I like to think that maybe Bro. Shorty is praying for me and Ken.  I love him dearly and I have tried to convey to him every time I've seen him  how important he was in my journey.  Some of the people we meet along the way act as shock absorbers and make the road feel less bumpy.  Oh that I would be a "shock absorber" for someone along the road...let the journey begin...

1 comment:

  1. You have always been my shock absorber! What a wonderful picture of love and care! This story is a nice reminder to love others and show how we care even when we feel "too busy!"

    ReplyDelete