Sunday, March 27, 2011

It's the Simple Things

This weekend we had four of our grandchildren come and stay with us.  They are as wonderful as all GRANDchildren everywhere are to grandparents.  I was reminded today in church by one of our wonderful parishioners how much children can be entertained by the simple things.  This friend, Molly, could tell that I was absolutely exhausted and yet had a 14 month old on my hip that wanted me to stand and not sit in church.  I think she has an allergy to me sitting down sometimes.  Anyway Molly volunteered to hold and entertain baby for the second church service.  I let her...that right there tells you how tired I was, if I'm going to give up a grand baby, I'M WEARY!  Molly Girl got the baby some nursery books and then sat on the back row opposite me.  Kendalyn sat quietly for her and looked through all the books, then she wanted something more.  Molly pulled out a calendar from her purse.  The baby set a few dates, handed it back and wanted more.  Molly pulled out a checkbook cover.  That had Kendalyn's attention for a few minutes.  What held her attention the longest it seemed was when Molly pulled out her wallet and started pulling out the plastic.  That child was dealing then.  By the time Kendalyn had looked through every part of Molly's purse and was about to start squealing to run and play, church was over.  My friend said to me after church, "It always amazes me how much fun children have just playing with the simple things.  They don't need all this 'high tech' stuff."  She's exactly right.  A couple of summers ago when Ken and I started "Mammy and Pappy" Camp, one of our first investments was a Sky Fort!  The kids have had a lot of fun with it since, but at that first camp as you can see by the picture below the most fun was from the boxes the thing came in and sticks from the yard.  It seems boxes make the best forts and sticks the best weapon.  You know, come to think of it boxes were a hot commodity when I was young too.  The journey is wild sometimes and all we have to do is GET SIMPLE!  Thanks Molly Girl for the reminder...

No comments:

Post a Comment